For the eco-conscious condo buyer, choosing a building can be challenging. Many of the restored and renovated vintage factories, warehouses and churches are becoming transformed into unique lofts and condos. It’s a great asset to the urban neighbourhoods when a contaminated old factory is transformed into retail or residential loft, bringing new life back into a sometimes dreary area.
More and more condo owners want to have green elements in their buildings and suites. Here are some things to keep in mind when looking for a Green Condo Building. When such green elements are not already available, making personal choices will also help keep you green!
- Individually controlled heat and air conditioning (keep your heat and air low and save $ and energy
- Energy Star Appliances (great investment if your condo doesn’t already have them)
- Close to public transit (leave the car home and hop on!)
- AutoShare close-by (sell the car and only pay when you need it)
- Bike storage (get physical and enjoy seeing your city)
- Low flush toilets and water saving shower heads
- Geothermal Building (High Park Lofts are Toronto’s 1st)
- Solar Panels
- Green interior finishes such as low-VOC latex paints, formaldehyde-free cabinets (keep your air free of pollutants)
- Green Roof
- LEED certified
For those buildings that do not yet have green elements, you can begin to make interior changes inside your suite adding eco-friendly improvements such as; energy-efficient lighting, bamboo, cork or marmoleum flooring, appliances, paint, toilet and shower-head, and eco-friendly furniture.
Visit this year's Green Living Show at the Direct Energy Centre at Exhibition Place from April 13th - 15th
Receive free admission when you bring along your electronic waste to recycle!