Your Urban Toronto Realtor
September 20th, 2014 
3 FREE REAL ESTATE E-BOOKS
Personal Information
Search For Property
The Redwood
Buying Home
Selling Home
Selling Tips
Important Resources
Baby Point Real Estate
West Toronto Monthly Real Estate Reports
High Park Real Estate
Dovercourt - Wallace Emerson Junction Real Estate
Bloor West Village Real Estate
Brockton Village Real Estate
Mimico Real Estate
Parkdale Village Real Estate
Roncesvalles Village Real Estate
Swansea Village Real Estate
Sunnylea Real Estate
Stonegate - Queensway Real Estate
The Junction Real Estate
The Kingsway Real Estate
Bloor West & High Park Condos and Lofts
West End Toronto Condo Buildings
King West & Queen West Lofts Real Estate
Liberty Village Real Estate
Urban Toronto's Neighbourhood Lifestyles
Home Renovations
Client Reports
Information Center
HST Harmonized Sales Tax
GREEN SITES
print version

The Junction started off as an independent rural Village in the west end of Toronto. It was near the junction of four railway lines and adapted the nickname The Junction. The Village was originally founded in 1884 at the intersection of Dundas Street West and Keele Street, eventually becoming annexed by the City of Toronto in 1909. 

The original site was known as the Carlton Race Course from 1857 – 1876 and owned by the Keele Family. The very first Queen’s Plate premiered at this track. When the railways arrived in the 1880’s, the old racetrack and surrounding area was developed by Daniel Clendenan. An interesting tidbit is the approximate locations of the two main straight-aways of the track are today known as High Park Avenue and Pacific Avenue.  

As the manufacturing community boomed during the late 1800’s, the area became popular with Foundries, mills, wire factories and such companies as Heintzman Piano.

It was less expensive than Toronto for land, labour and taxes, so Canadian Pacific established a major operation here. 

The Junction has experienced throughout the years times of boom and bust. During 1888 through 1890 it was prosperous then 1893 to 1900 it turned to poverty due to an economic recession. The long depression saw the closing of many of the factories and an end to construction within the area. 

The Pubs and Taverns were popular with the railway and factory workers along with the cowboys taking their cattle to slaughter at the stockyards. By 1903 there was a serious problem with all of the wild drinking and whooping it up and The Temperance movement grew. By 1904 the frustrated neighbourhood had voted the area Dry, which they continued to enforce until as late as 2000. The Junction became the last area of Toronto to ban the sale of alcohol. 

Once the neighbourhood was able to eliminate prohibition, the community began to experience rapid gentrification! Suddenly they started seeing the beginning of new chic restaurants and bars opening along Dundas Street. Revitalized and abandoned warehouses and factory buildings are becoming converted to urban lofts attracting artists and creative hipsters, allowing The Junction to become one of the most popular pockets in west end Toronto to recently grow.

The Junction Real Estate

View more services  
admin listings privacy policy contact site map